Wednesday, July 1, 2009

I feel like a floundering amateur AND thoughts on what to do with the fruits of our labor

July 1st already. I wish summer could last forever, yet fall is looming up ahead. I think its a sign if fall vegetables not yet planted are popping up in my dreams. In hopes of banishing unborn beets and broccoli from my sleep, I ordered my fall seeds today: beets (I confess. I'm obsessed with them. yummmm. beet salad), spinach, broccoli, broccoli raab, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, kale, endive, carrots, arugula, cress, sorrel, and beetberry (it looked intriguing. berries AND greens! Maybe its also because the word "beet" is in it). The only problem is where to plant them. Our summer harvest won't be done before we have to plant the fall crops...Do we sow the seeds where our summer crops are right now? Will they magically know to germinate after we harvest? We do have more garden space from the unused community garden plots where we could plant. Reminder to self: read up on fall gardening, extending the harvest, and cover crops (vetch and winter rye? austrian winter pea and oats?)
On a COMPLETELY different note, I took a wonderful trip to eastern market last week. Its about twice as far from my apartment, but totally worth it. Doug, a 2009 graduate, is now the head honcho there. a.k.a. the market manager. When i visited the market I had a nice conversation about the garden with him. He even offered to let us have a stand at market to sell our produce. Another farmer chimed in and said we should, at least to earn what we spend on seeds. Doug said that the customers are very supportive of budding gardeners. Last year there was a school garden that would always sell out. I expressed worry about how much we would actually produce, but Doug said it didn't matter, we can come when we want, even if we only have 10 carrots (I conveniently failed to mention to him that my attempt at planting carrots in the spring had failed.) I think selling our produce there would be such a wonderful opportunity for us to get to know local farmers and let Lancaster know who we are. So come on vegetables! Grow!
I love Eastern Market! I always find weird and interesting foodage to try (like last week: yellow
squash flowers. I sauteed with olive oil and flavored with salt and pepper. delicious!) Plus,
everyone is extremely nice. One farmer was so eager on helping us with the garden, he even offered to drive his rototiller over to our garden if we needed it. And he gives me cheap
vegetables. Definitely smaller than Central Market, but a much more pleasant atmosphere for shopping and fostering community.

berries from market:

No comments:

Post a Comment